Tuesday, September 30, 2008

One steal of a deal

I have a new friend, her name is Laina. I met her @ the scrapbook store. She and her darling daughter come in just about every Monday night to create our weekly Monday night Make n take with me. I love visiting & chatting with these two while they create their projects. They are so much fun. Laina has been playing the coupon game for the last 4 months. Her boss had her learn(on company time)the ins & outs of the coupon world. What an awesome deal...she was paid to learn how to save money. She has saved a ton of money & has scored some major deals. You can check her site out here http://abundantfoodsavings.com/
Each week she gives me a mini assignment. I am going to slowly work my way into the saving money while I shop world. The 1st part of my assignment was to go & purchase the Sunday paper. Thanks goodness Arco still had a few left on Monday night.
I went home & clipped all of the coupons for things my family would/could use. While clipping coupons, it made me think of my Grandma Shore. She is always on the look out for deals. Hoping not to bore you but this was my steal of a deal last night. Walgreen's has Oral B toothbrushes for $4.47 with a register rebate of $4.47. There was a coupon for .75 cents off of that toothbrush in the Sunday paper. So I was actaully paid .75 cents to buy that toothbrush. You pay for the toothbrush & get your money right back in the form of a coupon($4.47) to use in the store. I turned around & purchased 10 cans of Pringles (10 for $10.00). I used my $4.47(plus .75 cents.) coupon to buy my Pringles. So far, a toothbrush & a 10 cans of Pringles cost me $4.78. Well when you buy the 10 cans of Pringles, you get another $3.00 register rebate. So with that $3.00, I turned around & purchased a gallon of milk. Thanks y to Laina for the step by step directions on that purchase-lol)So my total for a toothbrush, 10 cans of Pringles & a gallon of milk was $5.27(or close to it). Can you believe that? You should have seen my boys eyes this morning when they laid eyes on the mass amount of Pringles on the kitchen counter. I am sure they thought their mother had lost her marbles.

John worked from home today. On his lunch break, I had him go back to Walgreens with me. This is what we scored today for about $15.00. Not as cheap as the night before because the toilet paper made our bill go a little higher.
3 pkg. of toilet paper
10 more cans of Pringles (yes you read that right)
3 cans of chicken broth
2 bottles of Dawn dish soap
1 box of Kleenex
5 designer Halloween pencils
1 Febreeze plug in
3 Oral B toothbrushes
1 tube of Crest toothpaste.


Okay, here was the big deal of the day(thanks Laina)...Rite Aid has Crest Pro Health toothpaste on sale for $2.69. There was a $1.00 off coupon in the Sunday paper for Crest. So my total for the toothpaste(after the coupon)was $1.89. Then I mailed in a rebate for $2.69 on that same bottle of toothpaste. Crest just paid me about $1.00 to buy their toothpaste. SCORE! That my friends, was the Steal of the day!

I can't wait for my new assignment next week. Thanks for the HOT tips Laina! Keep them coming! Let me know if you try this! I was so excited about the money we saved.

6 comments:

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

WOW! I've got to learn how to do that too. Thanks for the scoop.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the valuable info! We do get the Sunday paper and I need to be better about cutting the coupons. I'm going to have to learn from your friend WHERE to get those in-store at the register rebates. Amazing. btw, thanks for the Pringles! My boys were in heaven when they saw them. I let them have some with their dinner last night.

Kerrie said...

Oh, that sounds like a game that I would have fun playing. I think the hard part would be only buying what you would use, not just buying it because it is a good deal. I do www.thegrocerygame.com. Love that too!

katie said...

Wow. Very impressive. Mike (and my kids) would be in Pringle heaven! I love a good deal!

Amy said...

So cool! I always clip out the coupons and then forget to take them to the store - kind of pointless. This makes me want to get them out & try!

Barb said...

Oh you read my mind. I've had this type of thing on the brain lately. A friend of mine is a big deal queen. She gets 8 sunday papers every week. Clips all the coupons and then goes to this website, www.pinchingyourpennies.com were you can go to a coupon list and build a shopping list to those stores in your area that have those things on sale. Sorry they don't have that for CA but they do have a list of deals by state. Anyway then she stocks up her home storage for CHEAP. They live out of food storage and she only has to buy what they don't have and doesn't hardly spend anything!! Cool eh?
Also go to www.couponsuzie.com and you can print tons of coupons there too!