Sunday, November 30, 2008

off to a great start

I can't believe it is almost Monday-AGAIN! I can't believe it is December! So far, it is off to a great start. I LOVE December! We had a great weekend. There is so much going on & so much more still to do. Here's what we've been up to.

As many of you know, i LOVE black Friday! The only downer about black Friday is that I miss having my sister Amber to shop with. One of these years will be able to shop black Friday sales together again. I love to shop & score the awesome deals. I ended up getting home from our Thanksgiving dinner with my family & I decided that I wasn't tired-those dang Diet Cokes. i decided to scrapbook. I was on a roll so i decided to stay up & not go to bed. I scrapbooked till 4 am & then brushed my teeth, got my clothes on & headed out the door. I hit Wal*Mart first. i don't ever remember it being so crazy. I didn't even make it through half of the store. Still found deals & stood in line for 45 minutes to pay for my stuff. It was INSANE. After my Wal*Mart experience, i only hit a few more stores & then headed home. I was home by 9am & didn't get a nap till 4 pm.

John had the entire week off. We love when he's home.

Our lights are up on the house- LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Christmas lights!

Our Christmas tree is not up. Kind of bummed about that. i need it as part of my decorations for the Christmas party @ church next weekend. It will have to wait.

I am up to my elbows in glitter, glue, angel wings, & halos-Fun times. only 12 more sets of wings & halos to make for the Nativity pageant.

Have I mentioned that I am so excited that it is December. i love this season & all of the magic it holds.

Loving all the Christmas music...need to decide what Christmas album I will be adding to my collection this year. Any suggestions?

I made my very first turkey tonight. we have been married for 12 years & I have never made a turkey. Can you believe that? I even made homemade gravy. Tanner kept saying "My compliments to the chef". Silly boy.

My Christmas cards are addressed & ready to be mailed. i need to type up our family newsletter & then I can send them. It feels good to have that checked off my list.

We had our family night tonight. We talked about the things we can do for each other & our friends to help bring the Christmas spirit into our hearts & home this season. We made a tree out of cardstock & punched out some circles for ornaments. When we do something nice, we get to add an ornament to our tree. The boys were excited & i am pretty sure i will have to make a few trees to hold those ornaments this season.

After a two week break, the boys will head back to school tomorrow! I am ready & so are they!

I think it is time for a fun give away! We haven't done one in a while. Leave a comment telling me what your favorite thing about December is & my boys will draw the lucky winner on Wednesday.

Have a happy Monday & enjoy your December.

19 comments:

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

I'm so excited for Secret Helper! Every FHE in December we pick a paper out of a hat with the name of someone in our family. We get to be that person's Secret Helper for the week. It's fun to do nice things for each other without them knowing. I'm especially excited this year because two out of the three kids understand the concept!

Holly said...

One of my favorite things about Christmas time is being able to do nice things for others and finding special gifts for everyone on my list.
I had a similar experience at Walmart on black friday, it was really out of control. I have never seen that many people crammed into a store before.

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie@My5monkeys said...

love that more people are more giving and there seems to be more goodwill. I love that we celebrate s's birthday and then it all about christmas.

Anonymous said...

Hi Raimi-

It may sound odd, but my favorite thing about December is watching and enjoying my neighbors decorations right across from ours. He adds one more thing every year! Just when I think there is not room for ONE MORE THING he seems to find space! When it's dark and the lights are on it is amazing. We are starting to have so many drive-by's that we may need police to help direct traffic! Too much. Loved your little pilgrims. Miss you. Love you.
Free

Morgan said...

I love driving around and seeing people's Christmas lights with the kids - they get so excited to see them. Merry Christmas!

erin said...

Hey, if you are looking for a good Christmas CD, my favorite is still Nat King Cole's. It's the best, and it's just not Christmas at my house w/o it. I add a new one each year (this year Tony Bennett), but that is still the ultimate for me. I'm also planning to add Michael Buble this year because I didn't last year. Have fun.

Lisa said...

Hey Raimi! My favorite thing about December are all the Christmas movies on t.v.! I love the 25 days of Christmas on the family channel. The kids and I just love to pick out special shows to watch together.

Laurie said...

This year my kids are LOVING Jingle, the elf Santa assigned to our family. Jingle reports to him nightly on the behavior of our kids. Jingle is in a new spot every morning. My "littles" are loving talking to him, telling him about their day, reading their christmas list to him. It has been really fun! It is fun every morning as they hunt for him!

Lisa Dones said...

Hi Raimi, It was great to see you this weekend. My favorite Dec. thing is our family christmas eve slumber party. Everyone spends the night at my parents and each family wears matching pajamas trying to outdo one another. There are eight families that join in the fun. The biggest, greatest, slumber party ever!!

Lisa said...

I LOVE this season too. It is magical and the wonderful spirit that is in the air. I love to give to others and make goodies and gifts for them. I love to listen to the music too. A favorite from my childhood is Alvin & the chipmucks(original) I used to help my mom clean and decorate while singing the songs. I love to do the 12 days of Christmas and caroling. We like to drive around and look at Christmas lights. We always did good deeds and put a straw in baby Jesus' manger to make his bed soft for Christmas eve. ("The Last straw" book) Merry Christmas!

Jen said...

My favorite thing about December is christmas music, christmas lights, a warm fire and hot chocolate

Meridee said...

There are too many favorite things in December! I love the music, baking (you know me) but I think my favorite thing is all the secret kindness that goes around!

katie said...

Great post Raimi.
A few of my favorites......quiet nights with mellow Christmas music playing. Staring at my tree. Shoveling snow. Pepperberry wreath candle. Peppermint fudge. Christmas cards. The Christmas decorations the kids make at school. Seeing Santa.
It's the best time of year!

Margie said...

Hey Raimi! I love this post. I share sooo many of the same thoughts you do - it might even be a bit scary! I had to get on here tonight and update myself - and being the pic person I am, I love the pics, and am quickly learning that if you get a shot that includes the face of a 1-2 yr. old you are doing good! Check out my blog for the latest of my boys. Okay, my favorite thing about December...where do I start? I love having to snuggle up to get warm, shopping with my hubby, watching my kids' eyes light up at the sight of the first snow. I love the anticipation of spending time with family, and eating Christmas Eve "breakfast" at 8p.m. after church at my aunt's huge, old victorian that is decorated just lovely. Most of all, though, I think I just love how this time of year you just get a feeling under your skin that people are excited just to be, ya know what I mean? We go through our day-to-day lives being so complacent, it's nice to have a time of year that just gets us excited to be alive and remember how good the human spirit can be. And of course I in no short part credit that to Jesus Christ, and see how great his hand is at work. If only we could carry it with us all year! So, that ended up being realllly long, but there you have it! Take care.

mj said...

First I just have to say that you have a huge family! What fun to have all of you together for the holidays. Second, I was very sad to come back from vacation to find that GT was closed on mOn for inventory. I was looking forward to a make n take break! oh well...next week.

Now back to the real reason I decided to leave a comment...My favorite thing to do in Dec. is to just look at my christmas tree. each ornament has a story and I just loved remembering about all of those happy memories.

I hope this week goes by quickly...seems a shame to miss even a couple of days without a christmas tree! good luck on your party!

Jacqueline said...

I love the old Christmas cartoons and The Carpenters Christmas album!

The Marsden 6 said...

Hope I'm not too late if so, oh well!

First off, I have added the new Faith Hill Christmas CD to my collection and have been enjoying it! You can never really go wrong with Faith, can you!?

Secondly I have to just say "amen" to everything you said. I lOvE LoVe lOvE December, it truly is the "happiest season of all!" I can't help but be happy and cheerful this time of year. We have so much to celebrate and are so blessed!

Merry Christmas!

Kerrie said...

I know you already picked a winner, but I want to share with you a couple of my favs! Advent calendars are the best, my kids are anxious and excited every morning in December to see what is in their calendars. Also this year instead of tearing a ring off of our constuction paper chain each day, we are trying to see how long we can get it. Every time you do something nice for someone you write it down on a strip and add it! We'll see......