Saturday, March 27, 2010

one for the books

My hubby surprised me with John Mayer concert tickets this weekend...eeeeeeeeekkkk! He arranged a sitter for the boys and everything. Do you know how happy this made me? This was my favorite date night out with my sweetie to date. In the thick of things, ie: raising four active boys, shuffling them to and from school, sports, scouts, piano, working on school projects, jobs, hobbies, etc...it's easy to feel like John & I's relationship gets lost in the shuffle during the daily grind on the home front. Please don't read this wrong, we are fine...more than fine. We are happy...just super busy. I so needed this night out on the town. We had several hours to ourselves. Lots of good conversation and each other. It really was perfect.

















Once we hit our home town, we went to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants. It is a little hole in the wall,Itallian restaurant. From there, we hit the concert. We got there an hour early...can you say excited and anxious? We sat and people watched (one of my favorite pastimes) & just enjoyed being together. I loved every minute of it. The opening act was Michael Franti and SpearHeads. I only knew one of their songs(from the Valentine Day movie- Say Hey)but they had lots of energy and really got the crowd going.

When John and his band took the stage, a screen was pulled around the perimeter of the stage and the lights went down. All of a sudden, a countdown started. It was the type of countdown you'd see in an old movie and it was projected onto this screen with pictures of JM flashing in and out. Once it hit number one, the lights went on and John started the show with Heartbreak Warfare.
Be still my heart...seriously :-).














He played set after set...two hours of John Mayer goodness. I loved every song. If I had to pick my favorite from the evening, it would be Half of my heart(with Stop this Train as a close second). He added what he said "was the other half of this song"...Fleetwood Mac's, Dream. He is so talented, both lyrically and musically. He is worth every penny to see in concert. He was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. If you ever have the chance to see him in concert...don't miss the opportunity.




































Thanks for an amazing night out, John Boy! I love you!
p.s. Can you guess what has been on heavy rotation in my car and on my ipod :-)?

10 comments:

Dan said...

how wonderful! raimi, hang on to him:) way to go john. i am sure you both deserved it!

Dan said...

ok the last comment was annie...didn't know dan was still signed in! sorry

mer said...

lucky girl! i am so jealous... your description gives me the chills :) he is hands down the best concert to go to! glad you and your sweetie got to get away and celebrate the two of you!

Jen said...

I agree - worth EVERY penny - he is amazing live. So glad you enjoyed it. I hope he comes to Sacramento again soon. When I first read "it's easy to feel like John & I's relationship gets lost in the shuffle during the daily grind" - I thought you were joking about your and John Mayer's relationship. HaHa!

Julie@My5monkeys said...

sounds like a lot of fun with your hubby.

katie said...

Sounds perfect! And the fact that you didn't have to even find the babysitter...priceless!
Way to go John. You so deserved it Raimi!

Meridee said...

Oh you have a good husband. I'm glad you had fun.

brandigirl said...

that is so rad...way to go john, a surprise live concert would have to be one of the best surprises known to man...i am so happy for you!

erin said...

Way to go John (hubby)! I'm glad you guys had a wonderful night out together. That is always best when life is so full & busy w/ obligations & kids!

Laurie said...

John gets bonus points!