Friday, March 26, 2010

The Clock














There were many special moments that occurred right before my Grandpa Shore passed away. Little glimpses of love, things were said & those type of memories that will forever be "hand prints left on our hearts" occurred. The day before he passed away happened to be a gorgeous California day. A day filled with warm sunshine. He was sitting out on the patio while my Grandma planted more flowers in their already gorgeous back yard. My Grandma said he was pointing and telling her where he thought she should plant their new flowers...so him :-). It was a good day for him...a wonderful last day here on earth with his sweetheart. It was the kind of day that we would all enjoy as our last day on earth.

The funeral was just as wonderful. We had lots of family and friends from near and far show up to help us remember Grandpa. My Mom gave one of the eulogy talks. She did an amazing job and for that I am grateful. She had warned Amber & I that one of us would have to jump up and finish it for her if she couldn't do it. Whew...she did it! Thanks Mom :-). Her memories and thoughts were very tender & described our Grandpa's life perfectly. The paragraph below comes directly from her thoughts at my Grandpa's funeral. Read for yourself.

The Clock by Sandy Shore Davis
There was a strange occurrence close to 4:10 am, March 19th, 2010 – about the time of Dad’s heart attack. His clock, a clock that had never required a battery change in its 25 years of existence, chose to stop at this momentous time. It is said that “Coincidence is a small miracle in which God chooses to remain anonymous”. And as a friend of my sister Carla said in a condolence note to her, “There will be some joy in the deep remembrance at the heart of all this loss; a sudden smile that re-routes a tear or two when long unspoken stories are shared by those who loved and knew him best pass from heart to heart into family legend. When the time comes to paint those pictures, use all the colors you can conjure and don’t let the actual facts get in the way of the greater truth.” A new family legend, the clock legend, has been born at Dad’s exit to pass down to future generations. He would love this story.

I am so thankful for the wonderful memories that I have of my Grandpa. I am so thankful that he chose to be such a big part of our families life. I am so grateful that my boys had the opportunity to know and love him in this life. As for today, I am so thankful for those memories that I can remember and recall at any moment.

p.s. that is an actual picture of his clock that stopped ticking about the time of his death.

8 comments:

Julie@My5monkeys said...

what a beautiful memory of your grandpa and wow the clock . Hugs

Barb said...

Okay, so I'm crying right now. You and your Mom are so great at putting feelings into words. Thank you for sharing and know you all are always in our prayers.

Amy said...

I am sorry for your loss Raimi. That is an amazing story, somehow that doesn't seem like a coincidence. Thanks for sharing & I am glad it was a good day.

Laurie said...

How lucky your family is that you are taking the time to write down these memories. I am so sorry for your loss.

lorelie said...

So beautifully written and expressed...I love everything that was said. I'm so grateful that you have your own memories that you can remember - that's so important. Having lost my grandpa just 5 months ago I still feel the tender feeling that come from losing someone you love so much. Big hugs to you Raimi.

katie said...

LOVE the story. Your mom told it perfectly!

Meridee said...

Oh my goodness! Thanks for the cry. What a tender post.

Debby said...

Oh Raimi, I am SO sorry to hear about your grandfather. Thinking of your family during your time of loss. Sounds like you have beautiful memories of him though.

p.s. I need to check your blog more often. I'm a little late.

Hugs, Deb