Thursday, January 22, 2009

randomness - Raimi style

I have no business blogging right now :). I need to start & finish my thoughts/talk for my Grandma's funeral this Saturday. My Dad called on Tuesday & asked if I would like to speak, to represent the Grand kids. I will tell you right now that it is a good thing that I am speaking before my Mom. I know I will already be a mess but if I had to follow my Mom, it would be a disaster. She is a wonderful public speaker & usually brings me to tears @ some point during her talks. Here I am blogging, avoiding getting my thoughts in order. I am nervous to commit it to paper. I have so many things flying through my head, so many things I want to say. I want to say them in a way that everyone knows & feels how I feel. So...instead of making a commitment to paper right now, here is a glimpse at our week :).

- I was able to clean up my scrapbook room(another thing I did to avoid getting my thoughts down). Needed to get that room in order, a fresh space to begin creating.

- Have you seen the Green Tangerines blog lately? Exciting news at Green Tangerines. check it out HERE. Scroll one post down to read all about the exciting news.

- I found these cute shoes for Brody @ Old Navy. He got to play in them today!




- I am enjoying the rain. Kind of makes it feel more like January...imagine that!

- my good friend Stephanie showed up on my porch with this cute rice bag. She made it, using flannel polka dot fabric. I LOVE it! It is filled with rice & you place it in the microwave for a minute or so & then you can use it like a heating pad. I need to take a photo of it & add it to this post. Thanks Steph, you are the best.

- Kinda bummed that I am not at CHA with Kelly, Paula, & Brandi! Okay, I am REALLY bummed, not kind of... but REALLY bummed. I can't wait to hear all about it. In hind site, it is a blessing in disguise that I didn't go. Grandma's funeral is on the day I was to depart for LA. My pal Marie Osmond is even debuting her new craft collection(tote bags & organization pieces). Paris Hilton will be there too!!! Can you believe that girl is launching a line of scrapbook items with her name on them -blah!!!

- Here is Garrett predicting the weather for us.

Gotta love preschool & all of the fun things he gets to make.

- I need to hide this candy jar. Brody is constantly dragging the kitchen chairs over to the counter & picking out treats for himself. His favorite is 5 @ a time.


- Just found out that my Grandma Pung was in the hospital & nobody in our family received a phone call letting us know that she was there. Wishing her a speedy recovery. I will call you in the morning Gram!

- Okay, seriously! I did not vote for this guy for President but I could not feel anything but great pride to be an American as I watched TV on Tuesday!

Tanner came home from school sick on Inauguration day. We were able to watch a piece of history in the making right in our own family room. Again, so thankful & proud to be an American. Saying lots of prayers on his behalf.

- Loved having my hubby home today! We are getting ready to attend Grandma's viewing/funeral. I am so grateful for his constant support & help around the house & with the boys. It has made today a little better.

-
We a had homemade Chicken Pot pie for dinner. It was the perfect rainy day kind of meal. It was so easy to make & very tasty.

CHICKEN POT PIE
Pie Crust (I used the Pillsbury pre made crust)
1 small bag of mixed vegetables(corn, peas, carrots)
2 chicken breasts, boiled & cut into chunks.
3 TBS. of butter
2-3 TBS. of flour
1 small can of chicken broth
salt & pepper to taste

Boil chicken the night before or morning of. Let cool & cut into bite size chunks.
Bake pie crust according to the pkg.. Let cool.
In a sauce pan, melt butter, add a pinch of salt & the flour. Stir together until it sticks together. Add a little bit of chicken broth, a little at a time & stir till flour butter/mixture is dissolved.You will end up using the entire can. I used my whisk to help dissolve the flour/butter consistency. I believe this is called making rue(sp?). Kind of like making a white sauce. Once your sauce is done, pour it into a bowl with your vegetables & chicken chunks. Stir together & bake according to your pie crust Instruction. Our pot pie took about 20 minutes to cook on 450 degrees. Enjoy!

- Look @ this sweet boy getting ready to say the blessing on the food.

He totally folds his arms, bows his head & says AMEN! So cute!

Okay, I have put it off long enough. I am off to get my thoughts down on paper. Maybe I will watch Grey's Anatomy first :). Send good vibes my way!
Have a happy Friday!

12 comments:

lorelie said...

May I first remind you of how amazing you are in all that you do? I seldom leave your posts without my mouth ajar. I'd rattle off a list of all of your amazing-ness, but I know that you have a few other things to do other than read a long "comment!" Reading about the fantastic kits offered at Green Tangerines makes me miss being there even more...but alas, I can buy those kits online! Bonus! I'm excited to see what you put together, creative genius (amazingness #1).

I wish you nothing more than the blessing of being able to get all of your love and thoughts on paper so that you can share all of that with those that will be celebrating and remembering the life of your dear Grandma. I have no doubt that you will bring tears to everyone's eyes before your mom even gets up. I'll be thinking about you. Big hugs to you Raimi.

Lisa said...

Raimi, my thoughts and prayers are with you this weekend!

Lisa

Barb said...

So sorry to hear about your Grandma. I know it is so hard to lose the ones we love and don't want to think about not having around. But I'm always reminded of something my Aunt Pam said to me and my Mom when we lose my Grandma Olsen. "I'm so happy for her, all the pain, all the slowness of a body that was no longer working the way it should is gone now. She is free and it's party time for Grandma. She is with family and friends and mostly she is with her big brother (Christ), who I'm sure welcomed her with open arms."
So I wish you luck with your talk and don't worry about crying. It's part of the process so let it out! And then go home and have a party for your Grandma.

Stephanie said...

You'll do great this weekend. I don't blame you for avoiding it, though.

Love all the pictures, especially the one w/ the candy hearts & Brody's hand.

Glad you like the bag =)

katie said...

I too wish you well at your grandma's funeral. You'll do great.

The chicken pot pie looks great. I make the exact same thing and we all love it!

Laurie said...

Rebekah has been sporting her cheatah-licious rainjacket and boots...why do kids look so darn cute in their rain gear???

Lovin' the yellow boots!

Debby said...

Raimi,
I will be thinking of you on Saturday. Whatever you share about your Gram will be a blessing. She is with you in your heart and always will be. Just share/speak from your heart. Love, Deb

Amy said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandma. I know it is never an easy things, especially when you have to speak about her and your feelings.

I know you will do a great job. I will be thinking of you and your family this weekend.

Love the boots!

Jacqueline said...

You'll do a wonderful job in speaking at your grandma's funeral. They couldn't have picked a better grandchild to do that.

Michelle said...

Raimi- Michelle Stringham here! I linked to you from Jen Packer's blog...Megan told me she'd been reading your blog too. Anyway, sorry to hear about your Grandma. I don't think I'd ever be able to speak at a loved one's funeral.

I saw that you're doing Project 365. Me too. I'm working on posting my pics on a separate blog. But I looked through all your posts and got some great ideas for pictures. I especially love the one of your boy's shoes all lined up for church.

Hope you don't mind if I read your blog every once in a while.

Anonymous said...

Raimi- You will do just fine. You have wonderful thoughts and memories of your grandmother. Tears are OK too. The people that we love will always remain a part of us that can never be taken away. She will be with you always.You have John to lean on.
I love you-
Free

Susan Anderson said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma, Raimi. Thanks for visiting my site and for your comment. And yes, I will be praying for the president...and every other decision-maker in Washington!