Friday, January 16, 2009

In Memory of my sweet Grandma Davis


This has been a hard day for me, as it has been for my entire family. I have been so lucky to have been blessed with many grandparents in my life. I have been lucky enough to know all 3 Grandmas & all 3 Grandpas. What a lucky girl -huh? What a sweet lady this woman was. She passed away early this morning after having gone through a triple by pass yesterday. As you can imagine, a million things are running through my mind & I wanted to get them down in one place so that I can look back on them & remember the wonderful things about her. Plus, I want the world to know what a great lady she was. Here are a few things I LOVE & will always remember about my Grandma Davis.
- she has a great smile & twinkly(is that a word?) eyes.

-she was a thoughtful note sender(snail mail-my favorite). She was one of the 1st people to send us a Congrats card when we moved into our 1st home, here in Roseville almost 6 yrs. ago.

- she never forgot your birthday. There was always a card in the mailbox the day before your birthday or on your actual birthday. She always included a sweet note & birthday cash to buy what YOU wanted.

- she always decorated your snail mail envelopes with cute stickers.

- we always spent Christmas Eve with her, & the entire Davis side of the family. Something we all looked forward to each year.

- she had the best sea shell collection. I remember "ooohhong & aaahhing" over her shells when we'd visit her.

- she recycled long before GOING GREEN was ever in/popular. She would have you give back all of the bows that she had put on your Christmas packages.

- she loved her cats. She adopted many of them from the Humane Society.

- she loved to receive hugs.

- her favorite colors were blues & purples-FUN!

- she loved to make intricate Christmas cards, lots of exacto knife work & they were always 3-D & pop outs. She was crafty with some help from a friend.

- she would wear her black leather gloves when driving her car around, her most recent car was a cute little PT cruiser. Gram cruised in style :).

-She got me to try her Garbanzo Bean salad. It was a Christmas Eve tradition. I can see the silver bowl she'd bring it in & I can even smell it as I type. I thought it would be yuck (mind you I was like 10)& it was actually good. I never did get that recipe. I hope it is written down somewhere.

-she knitted something wonderful for each of my boys when they were born. Tanner got a sweater, hat & booties, Carter & Garrett got blankets, & Brody got a hat that he wore the first few weeks of his life. Then his head got too big & we had to put it away-LOL.

- she always had earrings to match her outfits.

-she was a quiet, simple lady, with great faith.

I am grateful for the knowledge & belief that I have in forever families. I know that I will see Grandma again someday! I can only imagine the reunion she is enjoying with my Grandpa :). He has been gone for many years & what a joy it must be for her to see him again. As my sweet friend Wendy said, she has not be taken away, but given back. Thank you for the out pouring of love by the way of emails, FB messages, & phone calls.

16 comments:

Julie@My5monkeys said...

sending hugs and prayers your way.

Laurie said...

I am so sorry for your loss! What a lucky gal you are to have had her in your life! She sounds like such a fun grandma!

Debby said...

WOW! What a wonderful Grandma you had...what a blessing she was to many people in different ways. Grandmas are so special...spending time with "my gram" are some of my fondest childhood memories. Grandmas are such amazing women in our families.

Raimi, my heart aches for you and your family and your loss. My prayers are with you all. Take care.
Love, Deb

Stephanie said...

Hugs =)

Anonymous said...

What sweet memories of your Grandma. Sending hugs your way.

Lisa P.

erin said...

I'm so sorry Raimi. What a beautiful picture! I can definitely see the "twinkle".

Brad and Julianne Heaps said...

So sad to hear about your grandma's passing. I hope you find comfort and peace in the gospel. Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

lizzie said...

my sincerest condolences to you and your family.

katie said...

So sad and very sorry for your loss. She's in a great place now but I know that you know that. She looks and sounds like a very lovable lady.

Patti said...

I'm so sorry, Raimi. You are so blessed to know your grandmother so well! It sounds like you two have a lot of the same qualities...

mj said...

I am so sorry to hear of your Grandmothers passing. So smart of you to write down your memories right away. I wish I had done that some thing when my mom-mom passed. Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way...

Lisa Dones said...

Very Sweet tribute! You are in tmy thoughts and prayers.

Betsey said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Lots of hugs Raimi...you and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Meridee said...

I'm sorry Raim. It sounds like you've inherited many of her good qualities. Hugs!

lorelie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet Grandma. I loved reading about how wonderful she was. I can see where you get a lot of your qualities. I send a big hug along with all the others.

Anonymous said...

What an absoluely beautiful woman! Reading all your memories makes me sad that I was never able to know her. We would undoubtedly have had many things in common. The people we love always live on as long as we remember them. I know you will keep her memory alive and pass on all the wonderful stories about her.

Love you all of you-
Free