Monday, July 14, 2008

Books

I have always loved to read. One of my favorite birthdays ever, was when I was in the 5th grade. All I wanted for my birthday that year, were some new books. For part of my gifts that year, my Mom treated me to a shopping spree @ the local bookstore, Crown Books (If I remember correctly). I left with 4 new books & I was so delighted. I could not wait to get home, to crack that first new book open. Over the years, my reading as slowed down a bit. Instead of devouring a book in a day, it will now take me about a week to finish. As I've had new babies, or as those babies turned into active boys who are so busy with extra curricular activities, it is hard to find a good chunk of down time to sit & read. Right now, my reading happens late @ night before I fall asleep or on Sundays. I love Sundays, & all of the down time if gives me & our family. A day to relax, read & just be together. The boys are enjoying a few summer reading programs that we have signed up for around town. One is through our local library & the other is through Barnes & Noble. Carter has already earned two free books from the Barnes & Noble reading program. GO Carter.

One of my favorite quotes is : Books fall open--you fall in. David McCord
This quote is so true for me. It is so easy to get lost in a good book & I love when that happens.

{photo by Tanner. Boy, do I look tired or what?}

Right now I am reading a book that has not grasped my attention. I am having a really hard time getting into it & yet, I can't put it down. I have found that I can't stop reading a book, even if I don't really like it. I am always afraid that the good part might be coming up & that I'll miss out on the entire point of the book. The book I am currently reading is EAT -PRAY- LOVE by Elizabeth Gilbert. Have any of you read this book? Did you like it? Did you hate it? At this point, I am just trying to get through it to finish it. Is that bad?

I just received an evite from my friend, Eve to http://www.goodreads.com/. Thanks Eve. It is a really cool site. You can create an account & keep track of the books you are reading, have read or the books you have on your list to read. You can even rate the book & write your thoughts/review on each book. If you decide to create an account, please don't forget to add me as a friend.

I would love to know what you are reading this summer. What has grabbed your attention? What's on your to read list? I would also love to know what your favorite book of all time is. Please share.

15 comments:

Annie said...

that book was a huge oprah hit. women ranted and raved about it. i haven't read it. i don't think i want to. i'm not a huge reader, but i usually will read something that is highly suggested. i'm just waiting for the 4th in the twilight series to come out.

distresseddiva said...

I really don't read that much, but my all time favorite book is The Giver.....it's a book for kids but I still remember to this day how much I enjoyed it as a kid. I bet if I read it now I would still enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Raimi - Boy do I remember the summer programs at Barnes and Noble with my daughter! For us it was the American Girl programs. I remember the girls dressing up as their favorite character one time. My favorite book of all time is Cashelmara by Susan Howatch. My husband cannot believe that I sometimes re-read it. It's like an old familiar friend. I am reading the murder mysteries by James Patterson right now. My husband and I got hooked on the T.V. series which unfortunately got cancelled during the writers strike.
Happy reading!
Love, Free

Shelly said...

I just reread "A Walk to Remember". I know, It's a Chic-Flick! but I really enjoy the depth the book has as compared to the movie. It's simple and a quick read. You might have already read it.

Eve said...

Great posting Raimi!
Love the picture- gotta love those "kid" shots!
~EVe

Julie@My5monkeys said...

I haven't read that book but then it being an oprah pick...I'm wary. I think I'll join that goodreads and add you too. did you alrady oder breaking dawn to read when it comes out ??

Stephanie said...

I've read "Eat, Love, Pray" and, yes, there were parts that I had a hard time getting through. There were a few gems here and there. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I just finished "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" and it was very good (sometimes, I wanted the pace to pick up a bit, though!) I just LOVED the "Glass Castle"! I'm just starting "When Loved Walked In". Not much to say about it yet -- only 20 pages in.

katie said...

I'm not a huge reader because every time I open a book, I fall asleep. However, I did really enjoy
*My sisters Keeper
*The Kite Runner
*A Thousand Splendid Suns

Very good books!

Eve said...

Blog candy!
Check out my blog!
~Eve

Barb said...

Hey - glad to hear that there is a reader in the family other than Rhonda. All of her girls are not big readers...go figure?? Anyway I love to read and know what you mean about getting lost in the book. My kids hate me when I am in then middle of a book because I CAN'T put it down. I just finished the Harry Potters 6 and 7 again, waiting for the 4th in the twilight series and am going crazy because I don't have anything to read right now.
I was intrested in Eat-Pray-Love, I saw it on Oprah, but most of the books she has in her book club are kind of...well not the thing you really want to read. Let me know what you think.
Thanks for the post!!

Kathy Clark said...

I loved the book! I agree it's kind of hard in parts but I couldn't put it down either and was so glad I finished it. I would like to read it again and highlight parts that really captured my attention.
Good luck!
Kathy

The Henry's said...

I read it right after Jalen was born and actually really loved it. But it did take awhile to get into. I also think I loved it a little more because we had just traveled to Italy the summer before so it was all kinda fresh. Its a was a very different read for me though. My books on my To Read list are classics that I haven't read...like some of Steinbecks I also want to read The Pillars of the Earth sequel.

Meridee said...

I haven't read that book, and it sounds like I probably won't. I just finished "There might be a slight chance I'm going to hell" and I enjoyed it. It was an easy reader. Before that I read the twight series and of course enjoyed them.

Kerrie said...

I bought eat,love, pray and then bought twilight, and then bought new moon, and then bought eclipse. I don't know where I had been but I hadn't heard of them. Once I had it took me a week for all three! I am in the middle of her new book, THE HOST, and like it so far. I guess eat, pray, love is next for me. I better finish it before August 2nd! BREAKING DAWN!

Unknown said...

I thought Eat Pray Love was interesting - It made me grateful that I have the gospel and grew up knowing who I am and what my purpose is!
My all time favorite books are Exodus and Rebecca - you will have to read them if you haven't yet.
I am reading Friday Night Knitting Club and enjoying it - Thanks!
Have fun in Chicago - I am jealous!